Your rights - energy and bills

Consumer rights are protected by a range of agencies, including the Energy and Water Ombudsman NSW (EWON) and NSW Fair Trading.  

Colleagues in factory chatting with mugs of tea

Energy bills

As a business owner, if you have concerns about your energy bill or any other energy matter, for example, being disconnected unfairly, talk to your retailer. If you feel the issue has still not been resolved, contact the Energy and Water Ombudsman NSW (EWON) to lodge a formal complaint.

The NSW Government has approved EWON as a free and independent energy dispute resolution body.  Through EWON, customers can:

  • lodge a complaint about their retailer, distribution network or a third-party energy supplier

  • get advice about entering into a new contract

  • access information about protections concerning the use of customer data.

EWON works with the customer and the retailer to resolve complaints. If a matter is not resolved, the Ombudsman can make binding decisions.

EWON can also identify and investigate systemic issues, and regularly liaises with the Australian Energy Regulator when there have been possible breaches of laws and rules by energy businesses.

EWON is on 1800 246 545 or

Installation issues

NSW Fair Trading offers advice related to home building issues, including solar installation.

Contact them to find about:

  • consumer protections

  • guarantees on health and electrical safety

  • enquiring or complaining about workmanship.

Call 13 32 20 and select ‘home building enquiries’.

Page last updated on 12 December 2018