Discounted energy efficient air conditioners for households
Thinking about buying a new air conditioner or replacing an old one? Installing an energy efficient one saves money and helps the environment.
For a limited time, the NSW Government is offering households a discount on installing an air conditioner with a high star rating.
What discount can I get?
The installation discount will depend on the size of your air conditioner.
|AC size||Energy Rating||Cooling / heating space||Discount|
|2.5 kW||5.5✩ and above||Small bedroom or study||$200|
|3.5 kW||5.5✩ and above||Medium to large bedroom, small lounge||$200|
|5 kW||4✩ and above||Lounge or living room||$500|
|10 kW||3.5✩ and above||Large open plan areas||$1000|
Not all air conditioner units are eligible, only the most efficient ones. Many brands have eligible products, an approved installer will confirm if the unit you need qualifies for the discount.
Accessing the offer
You’ll need to:
- be a NSW resident
- buy an eligible air conditioner
- use an approved installer to purchase and install your air conditioner
- own your home or have approval from your landlord to install the air conditioner
- consent to your data being collected (for more information please click here).
Contact an approved installer to confirm if you are eligible and, if so, to discuss next steps.
Find an approved installer in your area
You will need to use an approved installer to get this deal. They will make sure you have the right-sized air conditioner and will install it properly. An unsuitable air conditioner uses more energy and wastes money.
Installers will have different fees. Ask for quotes from more than one installer to get the best deal.
Due to high demand you may need to wait for your air conditioner to be installed during the peak summer period.
Our network of approved installers across NSW is growing. Enter your postcode below to see if there is one in your area.
By submitting 'Find approved installers', you are agreeing to the terms of service.
The Office of Environment and Heritage connects customers to approved installers within their region who can deliver the discounted air conditioning offer under the Household and Small Business Upgrade Program. Air conditioning installers are approved by Air Conditioning Incentives (ACI), which is partnering with the NSW Government to deliver the offer to NSW households and small businesses.
Under the program installers are subject to the legislation, regulations and rules governing the installation of air conditioners, as well as further conditions imposed by the NSW Government. ACI and the installers they approve are obligated to deal with any issues arising from works undertaken under the program.
By taking part in this program, the customer acknowledges and agrees that OEH does not have any legal liability whatsoever connected to the deliverables associated with this program, and also discharges OEH from all actions, proceedings, claims, demands, costs, losses, damages, and expenses the customer may potentially incur through this program.
How do you become an approved air conditioner installer?
Get in touch with the NSW Government supported delivery partner Air Conditioning Incentives who will explain how the offer works.
Air conditioner installation tips
- Get an air conditioner installer to visit your home to do an assessment.
- Air conditioners need to be the right size. Ask the installer which size will suit the layout of your home.
- Make sure the final quote contains the right information. This should include:
- the installer’s business name
- the installer’s ABN
- your name and address
- the size, make and model of the air conditioner
- the total cost including installation and discount
- Once you accept the quote, your new air conditioner will be installed.
- Always ask to see an installer’s credentials. It is illegal to install air conditioning without a licence.
- After your air conditioner is installed be sure to engage a technician to regularly maintain it.
How will this help my household?
Heating and cooling systems use a lot of energy.
Buying an air conditioner with a high star rating will:
- save you money
- keep your home comfortable
- help the environment.
For example, if you live in Western Sydney and install a 5kW air conditioner with a 4-star rating instead of 2-star one, you could save $675 over 10 years.
The Energy Rating Calculator helps you work out energy savings. Simply enter your post code and air conditioner model number.
If you have questions, contact an approved installer directly.
If your installer can't answer your questions, contact us.