Empowering Homes solar battery loan offer
This offer helps eligible homeowners in the Hunter region access interest free loans to install solar battery systems. Get clean, renewable energy, cut your power bills and become more self-sufficient.
Jon has no regrets about installing a solar battery system to future -proof his retirement costs. Read more here.
What’s on offer?
The NSW Government will help homeowners in the Hunter region access interest-free loans to install solar battery systems.
These systems provide clean, renewable energy and can help you cut your energy bills.
Through this offer, you can get an interest-free loan of up to:
- $14,000 towards a solar PV and battery system (repayable over a range of terms up to 8 years), or
- $9000 towards retrofitting a battery system to an existing solar PV system (repayable over a range of terms up to 10 years).
How to apply
- Check you meet the eligibility criteria.
- Read the documents listed in the ‘before applying’ section.
- Contact several of the Approved Suppliers (listed below).
- Discuss your needs and organise detailed quotes.
- Go to the Accept your quote portal, managed by Plenti our delivery partner. Enter your quote details, review and accept the quote and complete the loan application.
- If the loan is approved, your chosen supplier will contact you to arrange installation.
- When your system has been installed, Plenti will be in contact to ensure you are happy with the installation.
Please see the program guide for further details about eligibility and the application process.
To qualify, you must:
- live in one of these postcodes in the Hunter region
- have a household income of no more than $180,000 per annum
- own your grid-connected home, live in it and have the authority to install the system
- satisfy the loan criteria.
The battery-only option is for homes with existing solar. This offer does not include solar-only options. Businesses and participants in the Solar for Low Income Households trial are not eligible.
Solar battery systems are not for everyone. The benefits depend on how much electricity you use and when you use it.
Solar battery systems are also a significant financial investment.
To make an informed choice you should read:
- the program guide
- frequently asked questions
- the NSW home solar battery guide and fact sheets
- the applicant terms and conditions.
Your household is more likely to benefit from a solar battery system if you:
- use a higher than average amount of electricity (more than 6,000 kilowatt hours a year)
- use most of your electricity in the mornings and evenings
- are on a time-of-use tariff with your electricity retailer or plan to switch to one
- have already implemented other energy saving measures.
Understand your solar battery needs
Solar battery calculator
Before applying for this loan, you should use this solar battery calculator to work out which solar battery system size may be right for you. This tool will also help you understand whether you could financially benefit from a solar battery system. The calculator provides an estimate only. You should contact the approved suppliers for a more detailed assessment.
Approved suppliers information
For this offer, only the approved suppliers on this list are able to install systems and provide access to the interest-free loans. They are solar battery experts and accredited by the Clean Energy Council.
- HCB Solar (02 4953 7732)
- MV Solar (02 6547 1100)
- Natural Solar (1300 060 928)
- Sunbank Solar (1300 28 29 30)
Read more here about how our approved suppliers and their installers have implemented safe measures to respond to COVID-19
Get in touch
- To find out whether a solar battery system would benefit you and to arrange a quote, please contact one of the approved suppliers listed above.
- If you have questions about the offer, please call 13 77 88 to speak to someone at Service NSW.
- If you have any questions once you have started the application process, please contact Plenti on 1300 645 015 or at empoweringhomes [at] plenti.com.au.
- If you would like to make a complaint or raise an issue, please contact the NSW Government’s program team on empoweringhomes [at] planning.nsw.gov.au.
Please register your interest below if you would like to receive updates about the program, including any future offer to be rolled out across the state.
Page last updated on 1 December 2020