Empowering Homes solar battery loan offer
Program update: How we are responding to COVID-19
We are committed to minimising any Coronavirus (COVID-19) risks to our staff, program partners, customers and the community. All our approved suppliers and their installers have implemented measures to reduce the likelihood of coming into contact or spreading COVID-19. These include minimising face-to-face contact and maintaining physical distance, adhering to strict hygiene practices and responding quickly to updated information and instructions from the Federal and NSW Governments.
This is likely to cause some delays to the program. Please contact your supplier if you have any questions or concerns around the controls they are implementing to ensure your safety. To check on the status of your loan application please contact RateSetter.
The Government response to COVID-19 is evolving quickly and as the guidance changes our approach may change. Visit https://nsw.gov.au/covid-19 for up to date information on COVID-19 and how to keep yourself safe.
What’s on offer?
The NSW Government will help homeowners in the Hunter region access interest-free loans to install solar battery systems.
These systems provide clean, renewable energy and can help you cut your energy bills.
Through this offer, you can get an interest-free loan of up to:
- $14,000 towards a solar PV and battery system (repayable over a range of terms up to 8 years), or
- $9000 towards retrofitting a battery system to an existing solar PV system (repayable over a range of terms up to 10 years).
To qualify, you must:
- live in one of these postcodes in the Hunter region
- have a household income of no more than $180,000 per annum
- own your grid-connected home, live in it and have the authority to install the system
- satisfy the loan criteria.
The battery-only option is for homes with existing solar. This offer does not include solar-only options. Businesses and participants in the Solar for Low Income Households trial are not eligible.
Solar battery systems are not for everyone. The benefits depend on how much electricity you use and when you use it.
Solar battery systems are also a significant financial investment.
To make an informed choice you should read:
- the program guide
- the NSW home solar battery guide and fact sheets
- the applicant terms and conditions.
Is this program right for you?
Your household is more likely to benefit from a solar battery system if you:
- use a higher than average amount of electricity (more than 6,000 kilowatt hours a year)
- use most of your electricity in the mornings and evenings
- are on a time-of-use tariff with your electricity retailer or plan to switch to one
- have already implemented other energy saving measures.
How to apply
- Check you meet the eligibility criteria.
- Read the documents listed in the ‘before applying’ section.
- Contact several of the approved suppliers from the list below. They will discuss your needs, inspect your home to confirm it is suited to a solar battery system, answer your questions, and provide a detailed quote covering the costs and savings.
- Choose the best quote.
- Go to the Accept your quote portal, managed by RateSetter our delivery partner. Enter your quote details, review and accept the quote and complete the loan application.
- If the loan is approved, your chosen supplier will contact you to arrange installation.
- When your system has been installed, RateSetter will be in contact to ensure you are happy with the installation.
Please see the program guide for further details about eligibility and the application process.
Approved suppliers information
For this offer, only the approved suppliers on this list are able to install systems and provide access to the interest-free loans. They are solar battery experts and accredited by the Clean Energy Council.
- HCB Solar (02 4953 7732)
- Instyle Solar (1300 133 556)
- Natural Solar (1300 060 928)
- Smart Energy Group (1300 133 055)
- Sunbank Solar (1300 28 29 30)
Get in touch
- To find out whether a solar battery system would benefit you and to arrange a quote, please contact one of the approved suppliers listed above.
- If you have questions about the offer, please call 13 77 88 to speak to someone at Service NSW.
- If you have any questions once you have started the application process, please contact RateSetter on 1300 645 015 or at empoweringhomes [at] ratesetter.com.au.
- If you would like to make a complaint or raise an issue, please contact the NSW Government’s program team on empoweringhomes [at] planning.nsw.gov.au.
Please register your interest below if you would like to receive updates about the program, including any future offer to be rolled out across the state.
Page last updated on 1 April 2020